Applied Business Mathematics
level of course unit
1. Study cycle, Bachelor
Learning outcomes of course unit
The students are able to:
• use mathematical methods of differential calculus for economic problems.
• discuss the basics of financial mathematical expressions and to derive them by means of exponential calculus instruments.
• able to analyze and evaluate macro- and microeconomic issues within the frame-work of mathematical models.
• solve fundamental economic and financial mathematical tasks independently.
•use mathematical expressions as a basis for statistical data analysis.
• use software like WolframAlpha and Excel for analysis and visualization of mathe-matical problems.
• able to implement optimization tasks on the basis of multivariate functions and to represent them with suitable software
prerequisites and co-requisites
• Linear and quadratic functions
• Elementary financial mathematics
• Differential calculus
• Linear systems of equations
• Analysis of functions with two variables
• Optimization with Lagrange function
recommended or required reading
• Sydsaeter, Knut; Hammond; Peter; Strom, Arne: Mathematik für Wirtschaftswissen-schaftler: Basiswissen mit Praxisbezug. Pearson Studium (in the current edition)
• Christiaans, Thomas; Ross, Matthias: Wirtschaftsmathematik für das Bachelor-Studium. Springer Gabler (in the current edition)
• Hettich, Günter; Jüttler, Helmut; Luderer, Bernd: Mathematik für Wirtschaftswissen-schaftler und Finanzmathematik. Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag (in the current edition
assessment methods and criteria
Online tasks, term paper, exam
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dr. Peter Dietrich
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery