Global Brand Management
level of course unit
2. Study cycle, Master
Learning outcomes of course unit
• know how important it is to build and develop a brand over time.
• know about the power of a brand and the role it plays in the purchase decision.
• can analyze brands for their differentiation from the competition in the market, uncover weaknesses and make constructive suggestions for improvements.
• are able to design strategic measures such as brand extensions and transfers of an existing brand.
• know the special features of global brands.
prerequisites and co-requisites
• Definition and delimitation of the term brand
• Positioning as proof of the significance and strength of the brand in the competitive environment
• Growth and maintenance of a brand
• Strategic measures (brand expansion, brand wear, brand rejuvenation), even in a demanding market environment (e.g. in saturated markets)
• Influence of the brand on the consumer's buying decision
recommended or required reading
• Finch, Jon; Kapferer, Jean-Noel: The New Strategic Brand Management – advanced Insights and Strategic Thinking. Kogan Page (latest edition)
• Miller, Donald: Building A Story Brand – Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen. Thomas Nelson Publishers (latest edition)
• Minsky, Laurence; Geva, Ivan: Global Brand Management: A Guide to Developing, Building & Managing an International Brand. Kogan Page (latest edition)
• 1-2 current journal articles (e.g. American Marketing Journal, Marketing Review St. Gallen)
assessment methods and criteria
Online tasks, exam
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Prof. (FH) Dr. Peter Dietrich
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery