Communication, Presentation & Rhetoric
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
• Are able to plan and structure presentation topics in a target-oriented manner using various media and present them professionally to a specialist audience.
• Know the basic concepts of communicative processes and are able to consciously use content and relationship aspects of human communication.
• Know the basic presentation techniques.
prerequisites and co-requisites
The students are taught the fundamentals of social skills, speaking, reading, writing and presentation skills. They impart and present contents from business, politics, culture and history as well as intercultural contexts. Discussion skills and presentation of specific economic topics are the main focus.
After a short theoretical introduction to presentation techniques and rhetoric, case studies and exercises are used to familiarize students with oral and medial communication.
Particular attention is paid to the preparation of content (structure and outline) and the execution of presentations (preparation, targeted use of media).
Basic information about the basic components of communicative processes is conveyed. Message and meaning as well as content and relationship aspects of human communication should be simulated. The aim of the presentation techniques is to teach the students about the effective channels (language, voice, body, space) of presentation and to gain initial experience about their effective use in order to be able to present more functional presentations.
recommended or required reading
Braun, R. (2018). Die Macht der Rhetorik: Besser reden – mehr erreichen. München: Redline Verlag.
Ehlers, M. (2018). Rhetorik - Die Kunst der Rede im digitalen Zeitalter. Kulmbach: Börsenmedien AG.
Haas, H. (2018). Flipchart: Das Praxisbuch für Einsteiger. Frechen: mitp Verlags GmbH.
Quintanilla, K. M., & Wahl, S. T. (2019). Business and professional communication: KEYS for workplace excellence. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Renz, K.-C. (2016). Das 1 x 1 der Präsentation: Für Schule, Studium und Beruf. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
Schulenburg, N. (2018). Exzellent präsentieren: Die Psychologie erfolgreicher Ideenvermittlung – Werkzeuge und Techniken für herausragende Präsentationen. Wiesbaden: Springer Verlag.
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
• The course is conducted with presence phases (deductive method, in which assistance is given in the learning process and knowledge is imparted via frontal lectures).
• In addition, the students will solve and present problems in group work, which will be discussed in the plenum.
• Selected exercises are used to promote and develop students’ communication and rhetorical skills.
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Dr. Kristina Kampfer
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery