level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
The students know and understand the different approaches within strategic personnel management such as recruiting, personnel development and onboarding. Building on this, methods and approaches of holistic leadership understood as a combination of management and leadership are discussed and relevant leadership tasks are developed theoretically and practically.
In particular, students are enabled to constructively master social conflict situations or other difficult conversational situations. They can fall back on a repertoire of techniques (moderation, reflection, constellation, etc.)
prerequisites and co-requisites
To prepare students for the professional challenges in interpersonal communication, the course Management Techniques provides the fundamentals of leadership and human resources management.
Among other things, students acquire knowledge in the following subject areas:
• Relationships and dependencies between strategic business management and strategic personnel management
• Personnel planning, recruitment, development, release, controlling and assessment as well as the various problem areas of business management
• Leadership understood as management and leadership
• Selection of typical leadership tasks / requirements & challenges of leadership
• Leadership communication, in particular communication Conflict situations
recommended or required reading
• Steinmann H., Schreyögg G., Koch J. (2013). Management: Grundlagen der Unternehmensführung. Konzepte - Funktionen - Fallstudien. Springer Gabler.
• Hammer R. (2015). Planung und Führung. Gebundenes Buch. De Gruyter Oldenbourg.
• Malik F. (2014). Führen, Leisten, Leben: Wirksames Management für eine neue Zeit, Campus.
• Pinnow, D. (2012). Führen: Worauf es wirklich ankommt, Springer Gabler.
• Grubenhofer C. (2012). Leadership Branding. Wie Sie Führung wirksam in Ihr Unternehmen zu einer starken Marke machen, Springer Gabler
assessment methods and criteria
Project and final presentation
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Integrated course, group work, case studies, discussions, e-learning
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
English version will be available soon
course unit code
type of course unit