Real Estate Development
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
The students are able to:
• Understand basic provisions of public building law
• Describe the basic contents of a feasibility study
• Describe and evaluate methods of market, location and economic analyses and prepare them independently
• Evaluate and create simple building and use concepts
• Present milestones in the processes of the planning and construction phases
• Identify building typologies and analyze and create function-oriented area alloca-tions
• Analyze design rules
• Reproduce important architectural historical data, characteristics and correlations
• Make sketches (2D and 3D) as a basis for communication in the construction sector
• Present, analyze and exemplary apply methods and instruments of real estate marketing
• Identify project development tasks and types of project developers, understand the framework conditions of the industry and identify overlaps and connections with other sub-areas of the real estate industry
prerequisites and co-requisites
Fundamentals of the Real Estate Industry (GIM), Fundamentals of Facility Management (GFM), Real Estate Investment & Financing (FIN), Civil Engineering II (TEC.2), Law for Facility & Real Estate Management (REC), Selected Topics Social Competences & Presentation (SOC)
• Public building law (provisions from regional and building regulations)
• Fundamentals and application of feasibility studies
o Market, location and competition analyses
o Use concepts
o Profitability analyses
o Risk analysis
• Planning and construction processes
• Building typologies and room functions
• Design fundamentals
• Creation of 2D and 3D sketches as basis for communication
• Special features, instruments and methods of real estate marketing
The module contains 20% exercises. This form of teaching takes place in small groups.
recommended or required reading
• Bone-Winkel, S. and K. Schulte, 2008. Handbuch Immobilien-Projektentwicklung, 3rd edition. Cologne: Rudolf Müller - Immobilien Manager Verlag.
• Diederichs, C., 2006. Immobilienmanagement im Lebenszyklus: Projektentwicklung, Projektmanagement, Facility Management, Immobilienbewertung. Berlin: Springer.
• Kallinger, W., Gartner,H. and W. Stingl, 2011. Bauträger & Projektentwickler: Immobilien erfolgreich Entwickeln, Sanieren und Verwerten. Vienna: Manz.
• Klaubetz, E. et. al., 2016. Handbuch Immobilienprojektentwicklung. Vienna: Linde.
• Schäfer, J. and G. Conzen, 2013. Praxishandbuch der Immobilien-Projektentwicklung. Munich: C.H.Beck.
assessment methods and criteria
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
eLearning quota in percent
planned learning activities and teaching methods
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Director of Studies
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery